Monday, May 12, 2008

05/12 at work

UPDATE: I have gone through 3 bosses this year. So, I still work for the IT M team (which is where I was hired in the first place) but also for IT S team.

today was such an interesting day.....all in a bad way.

I was asked by my new boss to present some data I have collected for her because I didn't have a chance to write my report on the results last Friday.

11:00 AM meeting- (without breakfast) I attended this meeting, and when it became my turn, my brain completely shut down. I know I didn't make any sense. Some how I finished my part, and the meeting went down hill. People couldn't come up with a plan to solve our problems, and we kept arguing about "what is the point in having this meeting." By the time meeting was over, it was well into lunch time and had to stop the meeting. Agreed to have another meeting with better ideas next week.

12:00PM Had lunch with my friends at this really nice place in Ebisu Garden (very fancy place) and had Japanese buffet on the 38th floor. (this was really nice)

1:30 PM Was called by my boss and were asked if I was receiving "sexual harassment ." I was like ???????? Turns out, during lunch I let a guy touch my head and touch my shoulders.
I basically told them that nothing to worry about, and I would be much more careful about it since I was now working at a big corporation and I should have known better to watch out my "American behavior" in a Japanese work environment. Not to say that American's hug and touch each other at a big corporation, but it was easy way to label me. I know large corporations are probably sensitive on this topic in the US as much as it is in Japan but it reminded me that I was now working for a real business oriented place.

3:30PM I finally realized how much I don't listen to people and how much I don't know stuff at work. I was asked to do some research on application systems we have at work. System that handles credit card transaction and mortgage transaction. They are VERY complicated and it is VERY hard to explain things to people when you don't know ANYTHING about how the system works.
Which explains my previous experience in the morning where I screwed up the meeting presentation because I fail to grasp the BIG picture.... which I think because I don't listen to people closely and talk without putting much thoughts.

5:00PM Some emails came back from a vendor we deal with on a regular basis. And it didn't make any sense. It was written in ENGLISH, and it still didn't make sense. So I took it to my M team manager, and he said "Tell them that they are screwing themselves and that you do not understand their English." To give you the back ground, my M manager and our vendor hates each other. Whenever they have the opportunity to fight, they jump on it by explaining to each other how to do their job. Our vendor is located in India, so yes, sometimes we fail to communicate with each other. Additionally, my M manager uses me as a "email English translator" just because he is too "busy" to write it in English. ( Hates English, so uses any opportunity to use me in every way!)

My day ended at 6:40pm. It wasn't a long day, but it was a rough day.
Now I am at home and drinking beer with Gavin, who made a wonderful Indian chicken for dinner.投稿を公開

2 Comments:

At 5/12/2008 11:35 AM , Blogger Will said...

I love this post and your blog in general. I'm all about full transparency and all that, but you may want to make sure its hard or impossible for others to identify the people/businesses in your posts. You may remember that some people tend to take offense even if you're not saying anything really that bad about them.

I guess I'm suggesting you post anonymously and that you don't use descriptive titles (e.g. "x manager").

 
At 5/12/2008 4:06 PM , Blogger *fumiko* said...

thanks for the comment Will. I will remember that .... again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home